THE YALTA CONFERENCE

Thursday, November 10, 2011

LITTLE HURRICANE


I’m in LOVE! I’m in LOVE! And I don’t care who knows it! “One day CC Spina and I are going to get married on top of a mountain and there will be flutes.” Well obviously I’m a little shy about it, but I have fallen in love and I have fallen hard. CC Spina is the beyond gorgeous drummer of a two piece band, Little Hurricane. This grungy, bluesy, rock duo are from San Diego and have only been a band since 2010, but have already created an incredible buzz for themselves. Anthony Catalano better known as “Tone” and Celeste Spina better known as “CC” oddly enough met through an ad that Anthony posted on Craigslist. They instantly bonded over their shared love of vintage equipment and dirty blues. They had only been a band for six months, but somehow managed to win Best New Artist from the San Diego Music Awards in 2010. It’s hard not to fall in love with their sound, they bring a mixture of White Stripes, Black Keys, and all the classic blues bands you’ve ever listened to. My favourite description of the band comes from CC herself when she says “We’re called Little Hurricane because we’re small but powerful”. If you happen to live in LA then you should count yourself lucky because Little Hurricane has a residency at The Bootleg Theatre on Mondays for the entire month of November and the best part is that the show is free. So if you live in LA and you can’t find a way to get your lazy ass to the Bootleg then something is wrong with you. I guarantee they will be selling out larger venues in no time. The featured video is “Give Em Hell” a track that showcases the talented CC playing both mandolin and drums while also laying down some amazing backup vocals along with Tone shredding some sick blues licks. I’m not a hundred percent sold on Tone’s vocals but there is always room to grow and right now Little Hurricane is the most refreshing thing to happen to rock n roll in a society where terrible pop and even worse electronic music is ruling the airwaves. I hope I see a few of you this Monday, but for those of you who can’t make it enjoy this video and these pics.
-TYC





No comments:

Post a Comment